Tuesday, April 10, 2007

From Green Dot to Tom Green...

Yes, you know...the guy who had the show on MTV a while back (years ago, actually). Survived a bout with testicular cancer, and has....dropped off the radar? I don't know where he is now, but I do remember his stirring rendition of the "bum bum song". Heh.

Anyhow, I'm trolling YouTube to see if there's any new Hayward stuff (there isn't) and I come across this great clip of him. I think it's from his younger days, though it could have been from the Canadian teachers strike from a while back (yes, Tom is a Canuck). He's trying to "interview" striking teachers and they had no clue who he was...and then he does his Tom Green thing.

I think some hard-core unionists might be offended by it; I think it's just plain funny. It reinforces the idea, however humorously portrayed in this clip that if you're going to go on strike, you need to be able to articulate why you're on strike-- so does your rank and file. You need to be able to explain why you're on strike in a way for a person who knows nothing about the intricacies of your situation can understand and sympathize with you. You've gotta do it quick; soundbites are getting shorter and shorter, pretty soon there won't be much of anything left.

A great example of how not to act is the guy that they interview towards the end of the clip; I even started thinking he was a jerk, and I'd never cross that picket line in a million years.

No comments:

Counters

Locations of visitors to this page