Why do I say this? Here are my reasons (in no particular order)
- They're getting media coverage that doesn't portray them as "those striking teachers".
- It appears the parents support 'em.
- They had 98% participation on the first day of the strike.
- They've got a well-run website complete with updates and press releases and the like. Go here to the main page.
- They're putting their strike newsletters known as "HEA on the Line" up in PDF format, go here to see them.
- Their extensive use of Youtube is quite literally groundbreaking; to my knowledge, I haven't seen it used before when it comes to a US teachers strike; the grass-roots street cred it brings to the whole effort is great.
- They made this poster for scabs. (opens to a PDF file)
They're supposed to be meeting today with a mediator and apparently the mayor will be sending a letter to the Superintendent. I hope they get this contract settled soon, to their liking.